Thursday, November 29, 2012

Waste Not Want Not

What is being a zero waste home, you ask?

The plan is that you would buy everything from bulk stores and collect all of your items in your own glass jars that you bring to the store. So if you went to Ralph's Grocery store because you needed some sliced cheese, you would ask them at the deli (certainly no presliced fully packaged individually wrapped cheese) to place it in the glass container that you've brought instead of in the paper and plastic that they put it in. You would no longer buy a loaf of bread in a plastic bag, instead you would go to a bakery and ask them to put it in your reusable bag - like a pillow case instead of any other packaging. In the absence of that option you would at least buy bread that came in recyclable paper bags. I recommend this blog for specifics because I'm basically regurgitating her rules anyway zerowastehome.blogspot.com/

My intent with this blog is not to instruct per se, it's more to share my journey on figuring out where and how to acquire all of the products that I need in the least wasteful way. I truly believe that we are all going to have to do this stuff over the next ten years, so what I learn now may help my friends as they begin to reduce waste in their own homes.

The stuff you have to think about is astounding, soap, shampoo, cleaning products, deodorant, lotions - it's endless. I mean just think about your hair brush. No doubt it's made with at least some plastic if not completely plastic. Forget about the inevitable packaging that your brush will come in including the price tag sticker and the bag they put it in at checkout, but what happens to that large mound of plastic when it ceases shinning your locks to your satisfaction? It joins it's troops on the plastic island, that's what; condemned to a life of wandering the earth until the end of time in search of more floating plastic.

According to my research - you can get a lot of things - maybe even hairbrushes (haven't looked that one up yet) that are made to be composted when you are done with them. I know they make compostable spatulas and scrub brushes. I will def post the day I use a compostable scrub brush. Realistically it would be a post worthy event if I ever used any scrub brush - but you get my point, it's exciting stuff.

An interesting piece of thinking about zero waste is also rethinking throwing away things that are damaged, or buying brand new things instead of used items. "Could I use a sewing machine?" I pondered as I stared at a pile of fabric a friend had somehow given me. As I started to edge the fabric toward the trash bin it occurred to me "yes I could figure out how to use a sewing machine, but I won't today because I already know how to use a pair of scissors!" And magically, I turned a pile of "trash" into a basket of reusable rags! Voila!

I also have needed several items for my house, an entertainment center for the garage "rec room", a book shelf for the living room, a sideboard for the dining room, etc...I found all of the aforementioned items for FREE on craigslist. I scrubbed, polished and painted and LOVE the pieces that now fill my house - all for free! All rescued from heading to the dump! It feels good, really good. And right. And free!

While we are on the subject of rec rooms and sideboards I'll also say this: My house is too big. It's a waste. When I moved in I was in love the size and the image of everybody having their own space to be in but it's over rated. I realized this as I was trying to cook dinner one night while tripping over the dogs whose largest purpose in life is to be as close to me as they can be at all times, while fielding questions from Lola who also wanted to be in the kitchen despite her lovingly crafted rec room or her modern, bold colored bedroom, and begging Damon to turn down the volume on his video game which he also wanted to play in the kitchen despite the 3 other TVs in the house. My point is this, people want to be together. People should be together. Therein lies the chaos and joy of having a family.

Get a smaller house - number two on the list!

Tomorrow I begin my search for bulk shampoo that I can put into my own container to purchase. I will let you know what I find!

No comments:

Post a Comment