Monday, February 18, 2013

I Made Mayo!

A big part of my homesteader fantasy involves making my own stuff. So I made some mayonnaise! By myself. I'm certain that most people have done this before, but not me. I'm very picky about mayonnaise, I only eat Hellman's (It's called best foods out here). I won't eat the generic stuff and I can barely look at miracle whip or Cains without thinking of cow udder mastitis - don't know why. But I love Hellman's, it makes everything better. So I had no idea if I would like my own mayo, but I do. It is simply delicious. I'm not kidding. It's got a very, very slightly more vinegar-y flavor then Hellman's but just barely and there is no difference once it's on the food. I made the best potato salad of my life with it. It's hard to make though. In another post I'll put recipes for all the stuff I make for those that are interested.

Once I got the make it yourself bug - I couldn't stop. I made homemade veggie burgers, my own granola, facial scrub, facial moisturizer, lip balm, eye cream!! I made my own household cleanser and bought what I need to make dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent, carpet freshener.

This house will have no poisons in it anymore!!

I do believe that when you start really looking at and thinking about the number of harmful chemicals that are in all the hundreds of products we use everyday, you'll start rethinking what you buy as well.

I just keep thinking - if I can't ingest it, why is it safe to use? Breathing in little bits of it, day in and day out, absorbing through your skin while cleaning with it or from residue on surfaces?

And all those little chemicals enter into your body and live there. Building up over time, causing damage, confusing your cells, turning into cancer.

We can not fully insulate ourselves from harmful things in an industrialized society, but we can sure try. I encourage all of you (my two readers) to simply take a peek at what you use to clean any one room in your house, count the number of chemicals, google one of the chemicals and see what the harmful effects could be to a human who accidentally came into contact with it.

You might find that you can imagine using less poison if you were offered an effective replacement. Well effective replacements exist.

I will post a series of recipes and how they are working out for me in an upcoming post! And good news, I have pictures of all the things I've made!

No comments:

Post a Comment