Monday, December 3, 2012

Well Seasoned

I think an important thing to think about in terms of zero waste is making an attempt to get as much of the stuff you need from the most local sources that you can. We really don't need to be flying quite as much food around this country as we do - especially for those of us in year round warm climates. It is also so much healthier to eat with the season. The cultures that tend to live the longest and be healthiest through those extended years are cultures that include the practice of eating all locally sourced foods. Which means they will get an array of perfect foods that change with the seasons. So it makes good sense. I have not the first clue about when something is or isnt in season - my solution for that is to start buying all my produce from the farmers market - I also avoid those stickers and bags and twist ties which are waste - but I did come across some links which are very helpful. Here is one http://localfoods.about.com/od/searchbystate/State_Seasonal_Produce_Guides.htm

You can also find local farmers markets and seasonal recipes and such with a quick search.

No comments:

Post a Comment