Thursday, January 17, 2013

How its going


so I was feeling a little bit defeated by my zero waste efforts so far. When I made the decision to do it, I imagined that within a week I'd have sewn bags for the kitchen and not had have any trash to take out. Unrealistic! So I decided to take stock of the changes I've made so far.

I've stopped using anything other than a thermos for Lola's drinks for school.
I've stopped using plastic bags in her lunch box, I use a small kitchen towel to wrap anything that would have been in a plastic bag.
I don't use paper towels, we use washcloths instead. 
I buy all my dry goods from bulk with my glass containers
 
I've adjusted to using glass containers for freezer storage and left over storage.
 
I buy soap that comes with no packaging
I stopped buying k cups for my Kuerig coffe maker and instead use the refillable insert. I also got a French press for Christmas (thank you Aaron!) so I use that too.
I keep the heat very low and just have little blankets in every room - different kind of waste.
I make my own ice tea instead of buying it
I don't buy sparkling water and instead use my machine thing that makes it - though there is still waste because of the gas cartridges but you are supposed to bring them back and they are reused.

That might be it so far....but I was encouraged as I thought about it. Those are big changes. We are truly on our way. Change takes time, I vow to be patient with myself! 

On the agenda for next week:

Lola and I are sewing some bags out of kitchen towels and old tshirts that we can use in place of the plastic bags instead of wrapping dish towels. We will do this on my new sewing machine ( thanks again Aaron!) 
I finally ran out of my method all purpose cleaner so we are making cleaner using lemons, vinegar and water. Will post the recipe after we make it.
And we will begin plans for our raised garden beds.

So that's the update! We are on our way!

No comments:

Post a Comment