Thursday, January 17, 2013

No Waste Christmas

No waste Christmas didn't really happen for me this year. I was so busy leading up to the holiday that I just couldn't do the mental work required to figure it out. But it did force me to stop and think about what I was doing, what I would like to do differently and how I could manage that.

For my family, Christmas is about three things: spending time with family, giving cool presents and eating tons of food. Two out of the three are in line with my heart but the third - giving lots of presents - is a little murkier. I love to give gifts, I love to recieve gifts. The anticipation everyone feels wondering what they will get or waiting for the expression of the person you got the perfect gift for - those things are wonderful.

But it's the focus now. It isn't Christmas without the gifts. And that feels a little bit off.
So the first thing I feel I need to do is to come up with a true idea of what Christmas means to me. What is the actual meaning of the holiday, where and when did it start, what does it represent in different cultures? What are the pieces of all of that that mean something to me and feel important to share with my kids. I think it is so easy to get caught up in something that you don't even remember exactly why you are doing them any more.

I'm curious to know how/why/what you celebrate? Leave me a comment with your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment